Identity Requirements (I.D.)

Government regulations mean you must prove who you are if you are a new client or if we have not taken instructions from you for some time.

This is because the UK is a major international financial and legal centre, with a strong reputation for honesty and integrity. Unfortunately, that is why financial and professional businesses, like banks and solicitors’ firms, are attractive to money launderers – criminals who sometimes try to hide stolen money by turning it into legitimate income.

The government has introduced measures:

  • To make it more difficult for criminals to make and keep money from their crimes
  • To confiscate the proceeds of crime

For this reason there are compulsory identity checks which solicitors have to make of their clients.

Being asked for identification does not mean you are under suspicion.

The identification requirements apply to ALL clients when they are asking their solicitors to conduct certain types of cases.

Listed below are the acceptable forms of identification for individual or corporate clients:


(Individual, Private Company, Publicly Quoted Company, LLP, Partnership, Club, Charity, Attorney, Trust):

One of the following original documents as Proof of Identity:

  • Current full signed passport (with residence permit where applicable)
  • Current EU or UK photocard driving licence
  • Current Firearms/shotgun certificate
  • HM Forces ID card/Major Employer’s ID Card/Police ID Card (With Photograph)

Plus one of the following original documents as Proof of Address:

  • Pension/Tax Credits/Jobseeker’s Allowance/Personal Independence Payment Benefit Book
  • Bank Statement/Building Society Statement/Credit Card Statement/Credit Union Statement or Passbook – NOT MORE THAN 3 MONTHS OLD
  • Utility Bill (not a mobile phone bill)  – NOT MORE THAN 3 MONTHS OLD
  • Council Tax bill for the current year
  • Most recent mortgage statement from a recognised Lender
  • Latest TV/Vehicle Licence Reminder
  • Local Council rent card or Tenancy Agreement
  • Known Housing Association rent card or Tenancy Agreement
  • Recent Inland Revenue document e.g. latest Notice of Coding

 If you don’t have the necessary documents, please ask your solicitor how you should proceed.


(Private Company, Publicly Quoted Company, LLP, Partnership, Club, Charity, Trust, Other Business):

One of the following original documents:

  • Companies search
  • Certificate of Incorporation

Plus verification of the identify of two of the officers of the Company