Agriculture & Rural Property
Our Agriculture and Rural Property team has extensive knowledge of legal dealings with virtually every type of rural property including farms, land, woodland, estates and fine country houses.
“Rural businesses face commercial pressures and regulatory issues that are unique to the Agriculture industry which requires tailored legal and commercial advice. We act for a range of rural clients from owner occupier farming families to estate owners and corporate & institutional investors. The diverse nature of our client base means that we have a broad range of experience and local intelligence which is of great benefit to our clients.
Austin Blackburn, Partner
How can we help you?
Property transactions always involve an element of stress, but we’ll get the job done as quickly and smoothly as possible, ensuring that your purchase and/or sale completes with the minimum of fuss. We will always keep you informed of the progress, but should any problems arise, we will deal with these quickly and efficiently.
We act for a broad range of rural clients from owner occupier farming families to estate owners and corporate/institutional investors. The diverse nature of our client base means that we have a broad range of experience and local intelligence which is of great benefit to our clients.
Rural businesses face commercial pressures and regulatory issues that are unique to this industry and consequently this requires tailored legal and commercial advice. Our Agriculture team is established and well placed to advise on agricultural issues in the South West.
We can offer advice in relation to mortgages and re-mortgages of agricultural and rural property. We have an excellent network of contacts with representatives of agricultural lending institutions, getting you access to the finance needed as quickly as possible.
We are also able to provide you with detailed estate planning advice to ensure that you fully understand the consequences of your sale or purchase in relation to your assets as a whole.
Purchasing agricultural property inevitably involves more complex issues than normal residential property purchases. You need to be sure of exactly what you are buying, so we will make sure that you are kept fully informed of title, boundary, planning history and specific agricultural issues of importance.
We would strongly suggest getting us involved at as early a stage as possible in your sale, to allow us to work with the property agents to compile vital information relating to your ownership and pre-empting any hidden issues that could cause delays.
Our expertise and experience of agricultural property ensures that we can identify, report on and deal with a wide variety of rural land issues such as:
- Environmental or land management / stewardship schemes
- Existing agricultural tenancies, tenancy disputes and Agricultural Holdings Act (1986) succession issues
- Public and private rights of way
- Entitlements under the Basic Payment Scheme
- Rights of way, wayleaves and public access
- Utilities, easements and wayleaves
- Partnership issues
- Auction sales
- Registration of land third party interests at Land Registry
- Mineral extraction and exploitation of mineral rights.
- Wind farm, solar, hydro and biogas schemes.
- Common land, manorial issues and rights of reverter
- Wealth protection and impact on business structures from divorce
- Environmental and waste management matters.
- Contentious issues, litigation, arbitration and tribunals
- Planning & Listed Buildings
- Trusts and succession planning
- Agricultural dispute resolution
- Business re-structuring advice
- Rural commercial tenancies
- Telecommunications leases
- Agricultural joint ventures / partnerships / contract farming arrangements.
- Estate and land management issues including advice on Environmental Stewardship Agreements or Countryside Stewardship Agreements (Entry, Higher or Organic Level)